Friday, April 27, 2012
Recipe tried out: Nov 2011
Another spicy prawn??
Err.. sorry if you hate spicy food.
I think I might have overdosed on the mayo, hence, these prawns look heavily coated unlike love2cook's, of which looks perfect for me. I prefer hers.
But for those of you who love mayo, then throw that white grease in.
I made some minor changes to the recipe, that is in the marinating ingredients. I halved the recipe accordingly but then I forgot to half my mayonnaise. See, that's why it's so thickly coated.
|The prawns are very delicious right after frying, I tried so hard resisting stealing one, but I gave in. LOL.|
I'm not a mayo person, a bit is fine, but this seems too much for me, but my hubby and BIL loves mayo. And these mayo lovers licked up every bit of the gravy (yes, I exagerated, they only tried to scoop up whatever they could). My MIL will love this dish, but when I cooked this, she was still in US. I have yet made this for her to try. If she is around, I bet she'll go through every lemon grass bit, sucking up every trace of the gravy. LOL! I know she will love this.
Hot and Spicy Mayonnaise Prawns
Recipe adapted with minor modifications from: love2cook
500gm prawns ( I used XL, about 18 pcs)
1/3 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp Potato starch
1cm ginger (about 4 slices) julienned
2 lemon grass, thinly sliced into longish strips
½ Tbsp bird’s eye chilli (as much as you prefer)
2 heaped Tbsp chilli sauce (I used Maggi)
1 tsp light soy sauce
½ tsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
2 Tbsp water
1 heaped Tbsp mayonnaise (I'll reduce to 1 Tbsp level next time)
1. Peel prawns, leaving tail intact. Devein prawns, rinse and pat dry. Marinate prawns for 15 minutes.
2. Heat a wok, put in 1 cup of oil and fry prawns until golden. Drain the prawns and pour away most of the oil
3. With about 1 Tbsp of oil remaining, saute ginger and lemon grass until fragrant, add in chilli and fry until you can smell the chilli.
4. Put in chilli sauce, soy sauce, sugar, salt and water. Let it come to a boil.
5. Return prawns to wok and toss everything.
6. Turn off the heat and put in mayonnaise. Toss and dish up.